Thursday, November 6, 2008

Flippin' Sweet!

We went to the hospital this morning for the doctor to perform the external cephalic version described in the previous post to flip our tiny tot into the correct position. Dr. Parker put some immense pressure on my abdomen, and at first,the baby moved about 90 degrees, but his heart slowed way down. They could see the cord around his neck, which is okay as long as it isn't too tight, but they weren't sure, so they stopped at that point. I was given some medication that helped relax my muscles, and the doctor tried again about 30 minutes later. He got to the 90 degree mark again, with the baby transverse across my abdomen (not the most comfy I've ever been), and with one last intense push, the baby flipped right into the head down position! I was so grateful and relieved, both physically and emotionally. After the first failed attempt, I had worried that a C-section was eminent. But Dr. Parker is The Man- he has a lot of experience and did a wonderful job, and will be the recipient of my delicious brownies tomorrow! We are so grateful for the fasting, prayers, and well-wishes that made this possible. It feels weird to have him in the right place. I am used to him kicking down low. Anyway, the doctor felt comfortable sending us home to go into labor naturally. If I had been at all dilated, we may have decided to be induced. However, without being dilated, induction increases the risk of needing a C-section, and avoiding that outcome was the whole purpose of the version. I am really excited that if all continues to go well, we will be able to proceed with a natural labor and childbirth. So keep checking back often in the next week or two for the good news!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Holy Flipping Baby Batman. That is amazing that a doc can just move the little guy around. I'm glad that it worked out.

Cher said...

We will keep praying for you that everything works out, but let us know. Call me when you go into labor I mean it!