Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Trip to Northern Idaho


Sorry for the crooked picture-it was taken from a moving vehicle. But isn't it lovely?! The entire golf course was covered in fog, and once we drove out of it, it was cool to see how localized it was.

After spending one short night in Idaho Falls, we got in the truck with Corey's parents and started the 8 hour trek up to Blanchard, which is about 40 minutes past Coeur d'Alene and 45 minutes from Spokane. I have never been on this drive before, and had heard good things about it. It was lovely, but LONG! Zach only slept 1 hour of the time, which meant I didn't get much rest either. We were excited to finally arrive and see our relatives we hadn't seen since Christmas.

 Zach had so much fun over the break with all his newfound cousins! Needless to say, they found plenty of trouble together as they raided the pantry and garage every time I turned my back!


Zach loved stealing attention from "Nanny."

And had lots of loves for Papa, too.

So while I thought this was more of a family reunion, the boys organized their annual golf tournament during this time. This left us women alone with 7 children for 5+ rounds of golf over 3 days, plus even a few more rounds after that. It wasn't exactly how I had planned to spend such a big part of my vacation, but on a couple of occasions, the ladies were able to get out on the course also. I have played less than a dozen rounds of golf in my life, and most of those were only 9 holes. I haven't golfed at all since last year's reunion, but I actually had some pretty good drives. My short game was another story, but we had fun. Until the next day, that is, when I contracted a killer cold and the lactic acid started pooling in muscles I had entirely forgotten about. It was a miserable couple of days while I recovered, but I was able to read a few entertaining books during that time.

Cherlyn, Cheryl, and Rachelle on the green.
Look at the daring pro! I loved this shot!
My awesome swing.
Corey made up all the time he was gone golfing by watching all 7 kids (James almost gets an honorable mention for helping:)) while us girls went to Spokane for a temple trip, some shopping, and lunch. He also took me to lunch in Coeur d'Alene for our anniversary.

Did I mention it was FREEZING there? I was craving some cooler weather after sweltering in Dallas all summer, but going from 100 degrees to the 60s was crazy. Some days it even dipped into the 50s. I did not bring nearly enough warm clothes for us, and we ended up wearing the same things for days in a row. Yay for my warm and comfy green hiking socks.

Other highlights: Zach LOVED riding on the golf carts,
he warmed up to his cousin Michael after a day or two, and can't stop talking about him now,
he also adored Kaysha and had fun with the other cousins,
we got to see LOTS of pine trees, mountains, and rivers.
We enjoyed and sincerely appreciated all the time spent with family,
and now I think we're caught up on cold weather and rural living for a bit!

3 comments:

Live Out Loud said...

I know what you mean about not being able to deal with the hot then going to visit family and it being too cold and consequently getting sick. This happens to me every time I go ti Idaho...There is no happy medium. I HATE to be too hot and consequently neither my children nor myself wear very much for about half of the year. However, it really is a bummer to get sick and be too cold. ARRRG. Why can't every where be like Hawaii (but with the seasons of autumn and winter, but still be warm). Anyway, are you guys okay? I was listening to the radio and heard that you have been having bad weather (tornados? monsoons? hurricanes? flooding?) I am not sure which--I caught the tail end of the news--but I wanted to check in on you.

Cher said...

We loved having you guys here and it was so fun to see and here little Zachy! He is such a smarty pants.

Hales Family said...

Loved the pictures. Zach is growing so much. I wished I could have been there. I miss you guys and hate that I haven't seen you forever.