Yesterday morning as I got Zach ready for daycare, he felt warm to me. Then at breakfast he wouldn't eat much and I noticed a small rash on his face. He was his usual cheery self, so I didn't think much of it until we arrived at the babysitters. He felt really warm, so I took his temperature. It was about 100. I am covering for the dentist I work for while he is out of town, and needed to be at work, if possible. I told his babysitter that if the rash or fever got any worse, to call me immediately.
Luckily, I finished up a little early and rushed off to pick him up. His sitter said he had been normal all day, other than a decreased appetite. She had given him Tylenol for the fever, thankfully. His face rash looked much worse to me than it had that morning, so I took off his clothes and checked him once we got home. It had spread to his back, belly and was making its way down his legs! I immediately called the doctor because it was getting late. I was so worried it could be chicken pox or measles or some other terrible, serious thing.
Thankfully, it was just a rash associated with a sore throat virus. (Why did I not learn that in my Pathology classes in dental school? Seriously!) Apparently, if the rash is flat and if you push on it and the color goes away, it is not serious. With the other diseases, the rash is raised and stays red when pressure is applied. It cost a hundred bucks to find this out, since I didn't take time to research it at home (which I usually do). Oh well. $400 at the doctor's office this month due to our stellar student insurance and recurring daycare/nursery illnesses. I am just grateful it wasn't anything more serious or expensive.
Then on the way home, I noticed my throat hurting pretty bad.
Sweet.
(Sorry the pictures don't show the rash more clearly. I'm not sure what settings to use for medical imaging!)



2 comments:
Sorry to hear about poor Zach...rats! I hope he feels better soon. And I hope you're not getting sick!
We can't wait to see you guys!
love ya!
I can't wait to get these two little guys together!!!
Post a Comment