Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Karate Kid


I feel like I had a really rough time with Zachary from about ages 2.5-4. I know that sounds like a long time. It was. And there was LOTS and LOTS of good sprinkled in that time, for sure.  But there was SO much frustration on my part, I'm sure mostly due to my weak first-time parenting skills. There were also just a lot of tough transitions for us both during this time--weaning him from a naptime binky, which sent naptime out the window, moving him to a new bedroom and big boy bed, and potty training seemed to be the most stressful. 
 Corey did not have the struggle I had, for the most part, although from about last November to this January, even my good-tempered husband was getting flustered at Zach's temper tantrums! I honestly don't know if it was more me or him, but there were a lot of days that I felt totally incapable. Totally. It was really discouraging and I felt so bad for not being more patient and understanding and better able to control my frustration. 
Starting about 2 months ago, just after he turned 4, things really seemed to turn around. I'm knocking on wood that the trend continues. Again, I don't know if it is more attributable to his behavior becoming better or my prayers for my own patience and gentleness finally being answered, but it has been wonderful! He really seems so sugary sweet lately, and so much more helpful and obedient. I've hardly even had to put him in time out and I've raised my voice a lot less.
 How I adore this sweet boy!!
 I think the incident that triggered this transformation was poor Zach coming down with a bad case of the flu. The real influenza, which I'm pretty sure he had been vaccinated for. He had fevers, chills, was totally lethargic--totally not himself. It broke my heart. But it was during this illness that he was so tired that he lost some of his fiestiness and fight that was making things hard. He became so snuggly and grateful and polite and sweet. I hated to see him so ill, but it's been nice to see him acting so much sweeter. 

Since I began writing this last week, he seems to be gaining more difficulty obeying and has put up a fight about a few things, but he's still been easier than before. He is also pretty sweet with Zoey lately. They play together a lot more. I am really proud and grateful that he is gentle with her. Even when she teases him or grabs toys that he is playing with or even hits him, he rarely hits or is mean back to her. He just yells, "MO-OOOM! Zoey took my blo-ooocks!!" He has been better-behaved at preschool and church also. For awhile, he had a hard time sitting with his class and obeying his teachers, but he has done great lately. 
 The perpetrator, hiding a snatched block behind her back...
Heartbroken but not retaliating... 
Happy again!

Coincidentally, I enrolled he and Zoey in karate and gymnastic classes, respectively. They both LOVED it!! I started him in gymnastics, which he did not like, but he immediately fell in love with karate. In 6 weeks of classes he learned enough to earn his white/yellow striped belt. He was so fun to watch! I want to keep him in classes, but that one was far away and expensive. I took him to one close to home, but when the Korean instructor brought out his "spank stick" to threaten the misbehaving kids (not Zach) with, I didn't go back. They're 4 years old, Jackie Chan! T-Ball starts next week, anyway, and Corey and I are coaching his team. I hope it's not a headache, and should be a lot of fun.
Hi-ya!


Excited about his new belt.
 Anyhow, I am hoping this trend of sweetness is here to stay. It sure has made life easier and motherhood more rewarding this last little while. My heart just melts when he looks at me with his eyes all soft and mushy, and gushes, "I love you, Mom!"  Thank Heaven for my little boy!!

2 comments:

Tessa said...

Now I feel a little tiny bit less guilty for giving your family the plague. Sorry about that. We love your sweet babies.

Tessa said...

Now I feel a little tiny bit less guilty for giving your family the plague. Sorry about that. We love your sweet babies.