For our Christmas gift this year, my parents rented a cabin in Heber, Utah, for us to stay in for 3 days just before Christmas. It was kind of my idea, for the reason that we often don't need or even remember the gifts we give or receive, but a family getaway will hopefully always be remembered. I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. There is no better gift than being all together with my precious family!!
The newest member of the family was 2 day old Michelangelo Soul Stevens, courtesy of Ryan and Natalie! Nat was seriously amazing to come out 2 days after an all-natural childbirth. He was such a sweet little angel, and the perfect little Baby Jesus--if I hadn't forgotten the Nativity pageant costumes I purchased last year!!! Drats!!
It was a lovely cabin, but very poorly insulated. You could see through the cracks in the floor boards, so you can imagine the acoustics of sleeping 12 adults and 12 children! Dad had a rude awakening when a bowl of water spilled on the kitchen floor and dripped through the floor onto his face while he was sleeping in the bedroom below!! How bizarre that it would not have better workmanship!! I think they were going for the rustic feel!
The driveway was a little steep and some of the cars had a hard time driving up it, including our weasely little rental that also slid off the road leading to the cabin. Luckily, Nat and Ry brought his parents 4 wheel drive suburban and saved the day!!
A few of the kids found the game shelf and in 5 minutes, they made a mess littering all three stories that took over an hour to clean up. They had a complete hayday, though!!
Another thing about the construction--these slat stairs over three floors scared me to death with all the small children present. Luckily no one was hurt, but for some reason, my calves felt as though I had been skiing all day after walking up the driveway a few times and walking these stairs.
Zach LOVED playing with his cousins and DID NOT want to be bothered by me. I tried to join in the play, and he was quite annoyed. I was excited that he was inviting me into the game when he said seriously, "Follow me." He led me up to the top of the stairs, put his hand out, and said, "Wait here." Then he darted back down without a backward glance, assured he had lost me! Crazy kid!!
Missy on her ukelele and Ryan on the guitar.
Sweet Charlie is always a hit with everyone. Sweetest dog ever!!
We happened to be staying there over 12/21/12, and luckily Mike packed his end-of-the-world backpack--just in case!!
Spiderman Hyrum with the sweetest dimpled smile in the world!
Grandma Nettie- the heart of our family!!
Tiny Michelangelo in his daddy's arms.
Sweet little Jonathan at 8 months.
Beautiful Faithy and Bono.
Charlie
Tressa jamming with karaoke. It was a blast. our party got a little torn up because the cable wasn't working and we lost the guys to the Boise State bowl game in town.
Nick and Meadow's delicious chicken cordon bleu dinner--yum!!
Zoey's new favorite past time. Aye!!
Running man
Grandpa knows how to woo her!!
We had a special Christmas program, led by Mike and Allyx, who shared a touching story of using straw representing acts of service to fill the manger for Jesus. Allyx made us beautiful mangers that I am needing photos of!! They were amazing!!
Beautiful Tressa, who gave us a charming one-person play for our program. I was putting Zoey to bed while the amazing Meadow graces us with her stunning voice, so I don't have any pictures. :(
Faith gives the program the thumbs-up!
Nick Jr. and Sr.
The sisters sang "Breath of Heaven."
And the highlight was Nat and Ryan singing "Baby It's Cold Outside." It was seriously awesome and I may have a video to post here soon.
It was so, so wonderful to spend time with my beloved family members, despite the snowy roads, sleepless nights, screaming children in the night (mostly mine!), and tricky scheduling. I know you all made great sacrifices to be there, and I am so grateful you all did. It is very rare that we get all 24 of us (and counting) under the same roof, so this is a memory that I hope we will all hold dear for many years. Thanks, Mom and Dad, for financing the retreat. Let's all chip in and buy our own cabin one of these days, okay?!!



No comments:
Post a Comment