Sunday, February 26, 2012

Happy First Birthday to Zoey!

I cannot believe this tiny princess turned one year old!!
 This is her favorite place in the house--on the hearth of our ratty old fireplace. I'll be so glad to say goodbye to this aspect of the house when we move out! She loves climbing up and down it, and I am constantly worried she will get hurt falling off it. So far, there have only been a couple small spills.
 We took she and Zach to the zoo in the 70 degree Dallas weather for her big day. She was mildly interested. Zach enjoyed it. They both enjoyed getting up close and personal with the giraffes the best. Zach fed a lettuce leaf to one, and jumped about a mile when the giraffe licked his hand with that giant tongue!

 What is wrong with this picture? Zach gets to go on the merry-go-round while the birthday girl watches?!
 I love those big, blue eyes. They honestly melt my heart!
 We bought Zoey a doll stroller for her birthday. She's not quite walking, and this is helping her figure it out a little (when Zach isn't stealing it from her!). She has the tip-toe thing down, though!
 Wow! A Tinkerbell tent--since Zach doesn't always share his Toy Story tent he got for Christmas! She had a blast opening her gifts. Christmas was a great warm-up for her birthday! She knew just what to do!
 Now she can have her own hideout when Zach won't share his!
 She liked the chocolate cake!
 And got hosed-down in the sink afterward!
I am no Martha Stewart--especially for first birthdays. Maybe when they get old enough to actually remember all the work that gets put into those fancy, Pinteresty, themed birthday events, I'll give it a go. But for now, hearts and chocolate will have to do!!

Here is a video of Zoey's first experience eating a chocolate cupcake. She'll be a pro soon!

I am so grateful to have this beautiful angel in my life! Zoey has honestly been the sweetest, easiest baby in the world. She is saying mama, dada, and baba (for baby). She crawls lightening fast, and has no interest in standing or walking yet. She loves getting into cabinets and drawers. She is pretty self-directed when it comes to playing around the house. Zoey is a climber. She is constantly trying to get on a higher plane. Zach never really got into climbing like she has, though he was walking at 10 months. I have put off feeding her many table foods for awhile, because it is so much easier, quicker, and cleaner to nurse her. She is way underweight from her last doctor visit, so I need to get her as many calories as possible now. It is seriously a time-consuming and messy undertaking! Zoey is still quite snuggly and sweet, and has the most darling angel voice ever. She adores Zach, and they get along well most of the time. Being 3 is just a little hard, so Zach sometimes has a hard time sharing things and being as gentle as he should. Overall, he is a great big brother. A few weeks ago he had a friend over that was being a little rambunctious, and he dutifully told the friend to "be careful around Zoey, because she's really, really, really tiny!" I was so glad he was watching out for his baby sister, even if he doesn't always follow his own advice. Zoey loves her pacifier and her baby doll. I have so much fun dressing her up and putting ponytails and bows in her hair (which she often pulls right out. How do I prevent this?!). Thankfully, she has been a pretty good sleeper, other than waking a little early now and then. She naps twice a day pretty well and goes to bed like a charm around 7:30-8 each night.

 I have enjoyed Zoey's first year more than I could have imagined, and look forward to watching her continue to grow in grace and beauty.

3 comments:

Live Out Loud said...

Happy Birthday Little Zoey!!!!

Cher said...

What a cute little ballerina! I can't believe it has been a whole year!

Heather said...

Check out these cute kids! Thanks for your comment on my blog! I hope you are doing well. You look great:).