So, you ask, how am I doing being a mother of two? Well, don't ask! Once my sister and mother-in-law left last week, the kids were both in tears within 5 minutes! I made the mistake of sending Corey back to the school to study--he has his Board exams this weekend--but it was too much for me to do on my own that first night. Of course, as Zach's bedtime came around, Zoey began screaming, so I had to tend to her. I usually read to and rock Zach for awhile before laying him in his crib, but I told him I had to just lay him down because I had to take care of Zoey. He just stared at me with questioning eyes that were filled to the brim with giant tears. So I teared up as I faced the reality that my baby was no longer my ONLY baby, and that I must somehow divide my attentions and tend to both my babies' needs. So all three of us were in tears at that point! I finally got Zoey calmed enough so that I could lay her down and snuggle my Zachy before he drifted off. But I informed Corey that I needed him at bedtime until I got the hang of things.
A week later, it's going better, but I am exhausted. I worked a half day on Saturday and came home to a perfectly clean house and happy children, thanks to an amazingly helpful husband. Yesterday Corey came into the kitchen and said, "Wasn't it clean in here yesterday?" Well, yesterday was a post-Daylight Savings blur. I honestly do not know where the day went. Let's start with where the night went. Zoey is a great sleeper-- especially compared to her older brother, who didn't have more than a 2 hour stretch until he was a month old. She'll usually have about a 5 hour stretch in the night, but she doesn't have a predictable schedule the rest of the day, so sometimes that stretch ends at 2:30 am, and sometimes it is closer to 5 am. So I wake up in anticipation of her feeding, and will often be up for hours before she actually wakes up enough to eat. Also, she takes her sweet time eating. It takes roughly an hour to feed and burp her. I do my best to keep her awake through feedings, but she dozes through them regardless. So I am awake several hours every night, I get up with Corey at 5:50 for prayers, and then Zach arises nice and early anywhere from 6:30-7:30 am. I am too tired to get fully up and around until 8:30ish, then after feeding and dressing us all, it's suddenly naptime. We try and go on a walk every day, and the rest of the day seems to be taken up with Zoey's lengthy feedings and me trying to squueze in some play time with Zachary.
Luckily, Corey's Boards will be over on Sunday, and then my mom is coming out in a couple of weeks, so hopefully I can catch up on some zzzzs. Until then, I'll probably be as groggy as I am right now! I do love these two kiddos and wouldn't trade my situation for any other in the world--I just wish I had a live-in nanny some days! I'm trying to enjoy and snuggle them every minute, because I know these days will be over before I know it.
6 years ago



5 comments:
Hang in there Mamma!!!!! I have those same days. Its hard being a mom of two. I know!!!! I get nightmares about it....when I am attending to Lexie, I am afraid something will happen to Nate while we are Sea World. It is a HUGE adjustment!!! But other women have survived and so shall we!!! But I am right with ya on the sleeping. Praying for ya.....but I know you are doing an excellent and wonderful job!!! And give yourself some slack!! The house does not have to be clean all the time. You are still recovering and adjusting. Relax!!! Enjoy the moment.
We all need a live in nanny...I would prefer my mom just live with me, but I will settle for the live in nanny. Take heart. It gets more managable. I am not sure how, but everyone adapts to the occasion and somehow we all make it through. I have to remind myself daily (by the minute sometimes) that my house will not be as clean or organized as I would like, my kids may not be dressed or clean, I may not be dressed or clean, we may be eating cereal for dinner for the 10th night in a row, I may not be as good at my job, or exercise as much as I would like, the home projects may or may not get done (and if they do magically get completed they may not look great...all that taken into account, this motherhood thing is ALWAYS worth it...love you!
It does get so much better and so much easier, don't worry! I had a friend tell me that you just have to be willing to let some things go when you have more than one child (perfect house, laundry etc.) I try to always keep that in mind and it seems to help. Our kids grow way way too fast, so the hard parts are usually over in a blink. Your kids are BEAUTIFUL!
Thanks all you awesome moms for your words of encouragement. It is getting better already!
Isn't it hard to tell your first born child that he is no longer the only love of your life? He gets the shaft when someone else needs attention.... and in reality they need to know they're not the only person in the world. It's important for them to learn to share and take turns and love their sibling. And serve them. But oooooh, I hated that part of having 2 kids. Anyway. I hear ya. And, of course, it does get easier. And you are awesome - you'll master it faster than anyone.
PS I think I have accidentally deleted the last 2 comments you've left on my blog. Just know it wasn't intentional :)
Post a Comment