Weird how I was pregnant like FOREVER, and now, suddenly, I'm not anymore. It's weird not to feel the constant kicking and squirming and giantness after so long, but I'll try not to complain!
I wanted to post the details of my labor and delivery for my own record, as well as for those who are curious, since I made such a big deal of it beforehand. I know some would rather not hear about it, so feel free to just skip this one if you'd like! I'll try not to get too detailed...
I was so worried about the timing of her birth--more so than HOW she got here (natural, epidural, induction, etc.), I was worried about WHEN she would arrive! I was also really hoping to go into labor naturally when the baby was ready, not really using any methods to speed up the process and to have a completely unmedicated birth and a relatively short labor. I imagined my perfect labor occurring while Zach was asleep so Corey and my sister Natalie and I could work together to get through it without having to worry about Zach. I hoped it would last maybe 5-6 hours (or less : )), and that I could spend that time at home, able to move into any position I wanted, until I was ready to go to the hospital when my contractions were coming every 3 minutes, which I thought would put me about 1 hour before the birth. I didn't care if I erred on the side of laboring at home too long and actually gave birth at home. I had a friend who did that last year. She was in the tub and the baby came faster than expected. Corey was not keen on that idea, though I trusted that he would do fine delivering the baby if it was necessary. I had actually wanted a home water birth, but Corey has not yet been converted to the idea. We'll see for the next one!
So we decided to wait for the baby to come on her own without using any methods to hurry things up. Corey assured me things would be fine with school (and they were- he mostly got As on all his tests he's had the entire week, and only missed one test that was one hour after her birth!). Saturday afternoon, my sister, Natalie, and I went shopping at the outlet mall for several hours, and I was feeling a bit of discomfort, but nothing too bad. I had really wanted the baby to come on Sunday or Monday so Corey could have a chance to enjoy her before having to head back to school Tuesday. But, alas, Sunday came and went without any occurrence (even after I walked over 3 miles with the boys in the double stroller!), and I was pretty discouraged. Monday morning (after walking another 3 miles!), I was checked at the doctor's office and had made no "progress" since the previous Monday--80% effaced and dilated less than 1 cm. It could easily be another week at this rate!
Natalie and I did a little shopping after my appointment, and I started feeling a bit of unfamiliar soreness and discomfort in my abdomen, but nothing I could put my finger on for certain. I though it could be just that I was getting so huge and heavy. We took the boys home for naps at 1, and I slept awhile but woke up at about 3 in some slight pain. We ran some more errands and met a lady at a mall to buy a stroller from Craigslist, and I was pretty sure that what I was feeling were contractions, irregularly spaced and not terribly strong or painful, just a bit uncomfortable and distracting. I have had several friends tell me they had a full night of false labor days before their child's birth, and I was a little worried that could happen with me. However, both with Zoey and Zach, I never had a single recognizable contraction until I was well into labor. So from about 5 or 6 in the evening on, I was pretty sure the baby was coming soon.... Yay!
We got home just before 9 pm and I had felt pretty distinct contractions anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes apart during the previous hour. I was ready for a hot bath right when we got home, so I had Corey put Zach to bed and got in the tub. It was strange, but the moment I started focusing on the contractions, they immediately became stronger and more regular. Corey began timing them before 10pm, and they were coming close to every 4 minutes, then nearly every 3 minutes for over a half hour. The contractions were pretty strong, and Corey was helping me by applying counter pressure in several areas and doing whatever I needed to ease the discomfort. He even brought me some ravioli and chocolate ice cream in between contractions! When it became extremely intense, Corey gave me a priesthood blessing, which helped immensely to ease both my body and my mind. Natalie was right there to lend a hand also. She endured over 28 hours of labor before giving birth naturally to her sweet son, Bono, so she was a perfect doula to help walk me through labor.
Finally, around midnight, nothing I was doing could ease the pain or intensity of the contractions. I tried all sorts of different positions and had Corey do everything we could think of to help, but I'd had it. I knew I wanted to go to the hospital to see how dilated I was and to have pain relief options available. A sweet lady in my church came to stay with Bono and Zach, and we zoomed to the hospital--only about 3 contractions in the backseat away! I had another couple of unbearable contractions on the way to the labor and delivery department, and about half a dozen more while I was interrogated about my health history. (What is the point in pre-registering if you have do go through all that in the middle of labor? I was about to scream at the slow-tongued nurse!)
During that excruciating hour, I came to the conclusion that if I didn't have some serious pain relief, then the rest of this labor and delivery would not be a pleasant experience for me. Corey and I opted for the epidural instead of IV narcotics to ensure complete relief of pain, and a call was made to the anesthesiologist. For the next half hour, I was literally on the floor, writhing in pain, waiting for labwork to be done so I could get the epidural (I don't remember having labwork done before my epidural with Zach). Luckily, I was able to use the only whirlpool tub in L&D, despite there being 11 other patients that night. It helped a lot, but I was still unable to focus my mind on anything but the pain.
It was 2 am when I finally got the epidural anesthetic, and I nearly kissed the anesthesiologist as the contractions got less and less painful. I was so relieved! My left side got much more numb than my right, and I started itching everywhere, which also happened with Zach. The needle was repositioned and the dosage decreased by 25%, and I was much more comfortable. By 4 am I was dilated to 8 cm, but progress was slow over the next hour. I was repositioned more vertically, focused on deep breathing, and the on-call doctor (not mine :( ) came in just before 6 am. He was nice enough, but he wasn't comfortable letting Corey assist in the delivery as he had with Zachary, which I was really disappointed about. (Dumb medico-legal garbage! Doesn't the doctor know random people have to deliver babies on elevators, etc. on TV all the time? Anyone that watches any TV at all practically has a minor in midwifery and obstetrics!)
It only took a few pushes until she was ready, and she came all the way out on the last one! One thing I loved about this labor and delivery was that it was short enough and comfortable enough that I was excited and alert when she was placed in my arms. With Zach, I was so exhausted, groggy, and numb that it was really hard for me to enjoy the moment. Everything was nearly perfect for Zoey's entrance into the world.
As for my infatuation with all-natural childbirth, well, it's still there. I think it is amazing and beautiful. I know we could all probably do it (barring serious medical complications, of course) if there were no other options, right? Pregnacy and childbirth always make me think of our pioneer ancestors. How difficult it must have been to be with child when there were no modern conveniences--no indoor plumbing for those numerous midnight bathroom trips, no anti-nausea medications for those who get so ill, performing hard physical labor throughout pregnancy, and on and on. Anyway, as much as I am enamored with natural childbirth, I think there are several reasons that, given our modern medical options, it may not be preferrable for many women. My thoughts are that some women have a much higher pain tolerance than others, some of us are just wimps :), some would just rather not feel the discomfort and pain, and some simply have more painful labors than others.
For instance, my amazing sister, Natalie, has dealt with severe pain for many years on a frequent basis. I think that her high tolereance for pain is one of the reasons that she was able to endure a long, difficult labor. On the other hand, I rarely have to deal with pain more severe than some moderate headaches and sore muscles, and when I feel those, I grab for my trusty friend, Aleve, so I am a bit of a ninny. Or else maybe the size and shape of my body just causes more painful childbirth than some other women. Just a theory.
So I don't know if I'll try again to go natural with the next one. My goal this time, and last time, for that matter, was to have as much of a natural experience as possible while still being able to enjoy it. Last time was a bit more difficult to enjoy for a variety of reasons, but this time felt perfect. I was able to go into labor naturally, labor on my own at home with my husband, just as I wanted, and able to get medication for the pain so I could enjoy the delivery of my sweet baby girl! I did have to bear the pain for awhile longer than I would have liked, but as difficult as that was, it showed me that I was stronger than I had thought. So I sort of got to run my "marathon." I didn't make it the whole way by myself, but I made it further than I thought I could, and I still arrived at the destination, albeit with some assistance. It was all a really beautiful, strengthening experience, and this little angel was worth every minute of worry and every bit of pain I endured for her.
6 years ago



1 comment:
You are a woman warrior. I am so glad Zoey is here!!! I am also happy that you were able to have a great birthing experience (perhaps even close to your "perfect" birthing experience--sans Corey getting to participate more fully). xo
Post a Comment